Winter Activities in Leadville
Long Winters? Not a problem in Leadville. Winter in Leadville means waking up to a fresh coating of snow on most mornings and strategizing the best way to play in it. At Colorado Mountain College in Leadville, we are lucky enough to have access to a variety of resources and activities so that you are able to play your way.
1. On Campus Terrain Park – There’s not many colleges in America with their own on-campus freestyle terrain park, let alone one that maintained and updated as part of the curriculum. The Freestyle Terrain Park at CMC Leadville is literally in the backyard of the Mountain View Residence Hall.
2. Rail Jams – The annual rail jam at CMC Leadville is one of the biggest on-campus events of the year. The Rail Jam is entirely put on by the Ski Area Operations program and the Events Management Class, from start to finish, as a student project.
3. Miles of Groomed Trails – The Mineral Belt Trail system at Colorado Mountain College has 8 kilometers of groomed trails, perfect for x-country skiing or snowshoeing. Looking for the right gear? Check out the Outdoor Pursuits Club for free student rentals.
4. Nearby Ski Resorts – Ski Cooper is the closest, local family owned ski resort, and is less than 20 minutes away from campus. Copper Mountain, is a mountain and ski resort, is a 30 minute drive and boasts the Woodward at Copper Barn, with an indoor skate and bike park, trampolines, and more.. Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin are all under 1 hour from campus.
5. Fat Tire Biking – Mountain biking doesn’t have to stop just because there is snow on the ground. The Cloud City Wheelers, Leadville’s bike club, have organized the Winter Mountain Bike Series and events like the Tennessee Pass Night Jam and Mineral Belt Mayhem. Check out the fat tire bikes at Cycles of Life.
6. Dutch Henri Sledding/ Tubing Hill – Break out your tubes, toboggans, and saucers because we’ve got a public sledding hill on campus, maintained and groomed by – you guessed it – the Ski Area Operations program.
There are many more options for winter activities in Leadville. If you’re into snowmobiling, there is the Leadville Snow Drags, a snowmobile race at the Mt Massive Golf Course put on by The High Riders Snowmobile Club. You can enjoy ice skating at Leiter Ice Rink or embark on a snowshoe adventure at the Leadville Fish Hatchery. Whether you are into skiing or snowshoeing, snowmobiling or sledding, there is a winter activity for you to enjoy winter in Leadville. Embrace winter.