Colorado Mountain College Leadville is celebrating National Poetry Month with a social media haiku contest. Poets and participants can enter by sharing their original haiku as a comment on the CMC Leadville Facebook OR Instagram contest posts.
Each week there will be a new quaran-theme announced and a call for submissions on Facebook and Instagram. The theme for April 12 – 18 is outdoors; April 19 – 25 is cleaning; and April 26 – May 2 is snacks.
All original haiku submissions will be automatically entered into the prize drawing. Each week, winners will be chosen at random to win a CMC hoodie.
The quarantine haiku contest is open to all and anyone is invited to submit a poem through a social media comment.
A haiku is a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, written in three lines of five, seven, and five syllables. Here is an example written by Matsuo Bashō,
An old silent pond…
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.
- One submission allowed each week per person.
- Haiku poems must be submitted via social media as comments on Facebook and Instagram contest posts. To submit a poem outside of social media, please email your haiku to email@example.com.
- Can enter up to three times by submitting three different haiku poems – one for each theme.
- Haiku’s must be original.
- The poem must follow the haiku structure: three lines of five, seven, and five syllables.